Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Magicians Continued

The farther I got into this book, the less I enjoyed it. The book has an extremely depressing mood. I will say that Grossman is very skilled in drawing the reader into the story. However, I cannot say that I enjoy being drawn in. Quentin's entire attitude throughout the book is incredibly frustrating. It is physically impossible for him to be happy. No matter the situation, he has to find or create some issue that complicates it and ensures his continued depression and disatisfaction with life. I don't like any of the characters, they are all extremely self absorbed.

The book also felt more and more like a rip off of the Chronicles of Narnia as the reader learns more about Fillory. It is the same plot, the only difference is the names of the characters. Also, I have already finished the book so spoiler alert, but by the time they all go into Fillory, I was pretty annoyed with Grossman. It feels like he took another author's construction and distorted the world into this grotesque vision that seems to parallel Quentin's emotional isuues. I won't say anything about it since we aren't supposed to have read it yet, but I also really hated the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment