Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Magicians

So far I am enjoying The Magicians. It definitely does not throw you right into the action like Hunger Games does but it has a much quicker start than Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. However, I think that one of the reasons that I am already interested is because the book is so reminiscent of Harry Potter and Narnia.

The whole concept of Fillory, the main character finding a secret world in a hidden cabinet in a grandfather clock in a "dark, narrow back hallway at his aunt's house" seems like a scene straight out of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. However, as the story progresses and Quentin is transported to the hidden college for magic, I feel as though we're moving to Hogwarts. I'm not sure if I like this mix of books. I love both series and feel intrigued by this novel but it does not feel like a new or original idea.

I know it's impossible to accurately judge a book based on the first 47 pages so I am interested in reading further and seeing where Grossman is going with the novel and whether or not new ideas will emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment